Digital X-Rays Are Better For The Earth, AND Better For You
DENTAL X-RAYS ARE AN important part of your oral health care. Among other things, they allow us to detect cavities and decay before they become bigger problems.
However, old-fashioned, analog x-rays are not ideal for our patients, our dental office, OR our environment.
The Hazards of Traditional X-Rays
The development of old film x-rays required hazardous materials. For example:
- Silver: X-ray fixer has enough silver to warrant a “hazardous waste” label, and can’t legally be dumped into the water system.
- Lead: Lead is a dangerous neurotoxin. Discarded, it sits in the topsoil for years, is absorbed into plants, and enters our food system.
- Other Dangerous Chemicals: These include Ammonium Thiocyanate and Anhydride, both major irritants to eyes, nose, and respiration.
That’s Why We Use Digital X-Rays
First, digital x-rays eliminate the need for those harmful materials. But beyond that, digital x-rays are safer and more convenient for YOU!
- Digital x-rays cause 70-90% less radiation exposure than traditional x-rays.
- We get images with higher resolution, which we can zoom in on, enhance, and duplicate.
- Digital images are instantly available—no need for development. We can just pop them up on the screen right away to discuss them with you, which saves you time.
Dr. Oehler Adds…
“We switched to digital x-rays in 2007 to get higher quality images and to save time and money for us and our patients.
“Not only do we get better images, our patients no longer have to wait for the x-ray images to be processed. They are available instantly and no chemicals are used.”
Our Practice Is All About Looking To The Future
Dr. Oehler always evaluates the images with each patient on a large monitor and explains any dental concerns. It’s one of the best decisions we have ever made!
By using the best technology, we’re also giving you the best care WITHOUT making the environment pay the price. We’re working toward becoming a very eco-friendly practice.
And if you have any questions about our digital x-rays, please ask! We’re happy to talk about the steps we’re taking in our office to go green.